Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

By all Means it's Time for a Wedding Post

So, it's been 4 and a half months since Tom and I got married and I finally get to make a wedding post! Why wasn't this done earlier? Well, it didn't make much sense to do one earlier, when A.) my blog was purely for displaying photos I'd taken and I didn't take ANY photos at my own wedding and B.) they were all on facebook anyway. Now that I'm getting off of facebook and turning my blog into an all-purpose blog, it's time for the post.

I have so much to say about that day. It was the culmination of the most stressful two and a half months of my life. That is not to be dismissed. But, far and beyond that it was an incredibly meaningful, incredibly beautiful day. Never once beforehand did I imagine that it would be as beautiful and meaningful as it turned out to be. It wasn't perfect: my sister wasn't able to come, the reception didn't seem nearly long enough, the morning was rushed. But, it was such a great day! When I think back to it, all I think about it how beautiful the reception was, how taking pictures was actually enjoyable, all the friends and family who shared it with us and how natural it felt to be doing it all with Tom. Enough of the overall, let me go through it with you.

In the morning, I woke up pretty early (can't remember what time) and got my hair done by Sarah's hair stylist friend Diego. We've been going to him for years. He did an EXCELLENT job. However, there was a bit of a miscommunication somewhere and I ended up having to rush out of there and speed home and then only had twenty minutes or something to get my makeup done and rush out the door again for the temple. Tawnie did my makeup and she also didn't a seriously impressive job, espeeeecially considering the fact that she only had a few minutes! On top of that I'm pretty sure she had next to zero notice. She was actually a hero at seeeveral different points through the day. Go Tawnie!

We were a bit late to the sealing, but not as late as Tom, so it was ok :) . Everyone in the temple was so sweet just as pleasant as anyone ever could be. The best way I could describe the whole temple experience was peaceful. The actual sealing was very tender. We had some of my closest friends there and, of course, family. My dad, Tom's mom and Tom all got a little misty eyed. I, of course, was dry.

Then there were the pictures! I think most people hate taking pictures on their wedding day. It's a must, but I think it's usually somewhat miserable. For us, however, I feel like it was quite pleasant. Our photographers were great and just very easy to be around ( and, of course, it was easy to just wander around and be photographed with Tom by my side. We took the traditional family/friends photos in front of the temple, then pictures of just us at the temple, then we headed over to Heisler Park in Long Beach for a few more. Here are some of those.

Our debut as a married couple (coming out of the temple)

Posing for family and friends

The entourage at the temple

Groomsmen: (L-R) Arron, Curtis, Tom, Bob and Court

The bridesmaids: (L-R) Sarah, Emily, Me, Stacy, Jen
(This was actually taken at the reception, not at the temple)

Temple doors

In between the temple and the beach we decided to have some lunch at Pei Wei. We were ravenous! I definitely went in gown and all and got some pretty gnarly stares (just preparation for Taiwan). It was a fun lunch.

Cool sideways growing trees at Heisler Park. One I may try to edit out the cars in the background there.

These flipflops are actually the photographers extra pair from her car. I'd been wearing hers as mine had been discarded by virtue of extreme discomfort.

And now we come to the reception. It was cruel how short it felt because I was having the time of my life. I couldn't get over how GORGEOUS everything looked. A big part of it was the location. I had imagined a light, summery, outdoor reception for years, but pulling it off was probably the single most difficult aspect of the wedding planning. For one, pretty much everyone who I needed help from was instantly (and sometimes quite vehemently) against it. Don't get me wrong, I get it. Having a part reception is difficult to pull off in a lot of ways. But, you know what? IT WAS SO WORTH IT! Also, the park wasn't just any park, it was perfect. We had it at Bonita Canyon Park in Brea. It's quiet, peaceful, about 10 minutes from my parent's house and only a couple from my sister's. It had this gorgeous lake with weeping willows around it and beautiful hills behind it.

Another big contributing factor to the beauty of the reception was, of course, the decorations. I have to give the vast majority of the credit for all of that to my mother. She was the executor for nearly every aspect of it. Not offense mom, but I hope we never have to make that many decisions together ever again! But really, without all of my mom's help the whole thing would have just been pitiful. In addition to my mom we had a great crew of friends and family who helped set up and who provided their artistic talents. Doesn't it look great?

These food pictures nearly kill me because for one, we didn't really get to eat ANY of it and two these tasty foods are pretty unavailable here in Taiwan. Also, I specifically chose these foods for the receptions because they were both perfect for the theme and were some of my favorite foods. Don't they look great. Wow, I sure can talk about food.

We got a great deal on this duet. The music was stunning. It was a little unnerving that they played such perfect songs for us, without any prior knowledge. Also, I've always loved the cello.

Tawnie. Hansen. You. Are. Great.

We opted for pie instead of cake. Best decision ever. Much more tasty, much more pretty, many more options and much much cheaper.

Beautiful weeping willow. Can you find me?

The dock.

Loved these. Thanks mom.

We danced to "Sunrise, Sunset" from Fiddler. Perfect song for it. Dad and I tried ever so hard to waltz, but the dress made it a bit tricky.

We were actually talking about "superstitions" in one of the classes that I teach the other day and I showed them these two pics. They loved it.

It was caught by my cousin Margo.

Another big reason why the reception was great and why I didn't want to leave is that we loved chatting with all the friends and family who came. Wish we could have had more time with each.

After the reception, we grabbed a few bites of food, picked up our luggage from the house and then drove ourselves over to the Marriott in Newport Beach.

All in all, it was a superb day. One which I have a really hard time explaining adequately. I didn't have any bit of cold feet. To my knowledge, neither did Tom. It really felt so natural to be spending that day with him. It was strange, however, to think it was my wedding day. It's still strange to me and I still think to myself, "wow, am I really married?" Anyway, I could go on and on, but I think this post is beyond long enough.

I hope you've enjoyed it. More to come!

P.s. This post took like a week to complete because our internet has been ridiculously slow, to the tune of one picture per 20 minutes or so. Fun.


  1. Yay! I'll link to this on my blog!

  2. It was a wonderful day. By the way, the reception was a Carbon Canyon Park. It was difficult pulling out of you what you were really looking for in decorations etc. but when I did it came together and was beautiful. Your vision of what you wanted was beautiful. I am so happy that you and Tom are happy and that you were married in the Holy Temple.

  3. I was dry eyed in our sealing too. Don't worry, I was the only one in the room who was.